Emergency Ride Home
Though you may never need it (and we hope you won’t), you have a ride home if an emergency ever strikes.
Emergency Ride Home (ERH) is available when:
• You or an immediate family member gets sick or has a severe crisis
• Your carpool driver has to unexpectedly leave early or stay late
• You must work unscheduled overtime
If you need to pick up your sick child or pick up medication, you may make a side trip on the way home. ERH is at your service so you never have to worry about finding a ride when you need it most.
Registering is easy, and the ride is free
After you register for the ERH program on Share the Ride NC by selecting the Register button at the top of this page, you will be able to print a free voucher good for a rental car or taxi ride home. New users will be required to setup a Commute Profile to use the ERH program. You may use the service twice in any given month, up to six times per calendar year. You can only print a voucher on the day of the emergency. Detailed instructions for the service will be provided once you register. ERH users are responsible for the taxi driver’s tip or gas/late fees used in the rental car. If you have already registered with STRNC, please login for instructions, or to print a ERH ride voucher.
To qualify for ERH, you must:
• Be a part-time or full-time employee*
• Work or live in Durham, Orange or Wake counties
• Have shared a ride, taken the bus, biked or walked to work on the day the ride is needed
* You must work for a registered employer to take more than one emergency ride home annually. List of registered employers found here.
Full list of Participation Guidelines found here.